Research Your Home
- A Guide to Researching the History of a House, By HomeAdvisor. This collection of resources serves as a great jumping off point for those starting their home research journey.
Wellesley Specific Resources
- Photo Archives, 1881-present. Images of residences are arranged by street and may contain a photo of your home.
- Wellesley Historic Commission Inventory Forms. Volunteers from the Wellesley Historical Commission documented the history of selected homes and historic areas in cooperation with the Massachusetts Historical Commission. Over 400 homes in Wellesley were surveyed and these forms are also available online at http://mhc-macris.net/
- Wellesley Town Directories, 1883-present. Similar to phone books today, historic directories provide a list of residents and their address. Some directories also list the age and occupation of residents.
- Wellesley Historical Society Street Name Index. The Society’s street name index explains the origin of over 500 street names in Wellesley.
- List of Residents, Town of Wellesley, 1902-present. Contain information on residents including name, age, occupation and address. 1902-1920 male residents listed alphabetically by last name, 1921 - present, male and female residents listed by street and precinct.
- Annual Reports, Town of Wellesley, 1881-present. Early editions contain Assessor's List of Real and Personal Property which provides information on residents who paid taxes property taxes, including valuation of real estate.
- Assessor’s List of Real and Personal Property, 1941-1967. Listed alphabetically by name, this report provides information on a property's value and square footage as well as information on a resident’s personal property including outbuildings and garden structures.
- Map and Plans Collection. Town atlases provide a birds-eye view of entire neighborhoods and often include resident names and building information including size, location and materials. Individual architectural plans may exist for some houses. View our Maps and Plans Collection.
- Notable Wellesley Residents Files. Information on homes can sometimes be found relating to previous, notable residents.
- Historic Homes Binder, c.1965. Information compiled about a limited number of historic homes by previous WHS volunteers.
- Clarence Alfred Bunker Real Estate Files, 1895-1955. Bunker was a popular real estate lawyer in Wellesley and his professional papers reveal information pertaining to deeds, titles and mortgages and may include blue prints and maps. Click here for the Bunker Real Estate Files Finding Aid.
- Albion Clapp Collection. Personal and professional papers of Albion Clapp, developer of the Cliff Estates. Collection is unprocessed, limited access available.