Wellesley Historical Society

Maugus Club - History Mystery, January 2017

January 17, 2017 - Question

If you lived in Wellesley in the first half of the twentieth century, this building was an important part of the Abbott Road streetscape. Originally the old Bemis Estate, this building was purchased and used by a Wellesley club for over 50 years before it burned down in 1953.  Does anybody know what club was housed in this elegant building? Hint: that club is still active today! Return on January 31st to learn more. 


January 31, 2017 - Answer

Established in 1892, the Maugus Club (pictured above) was a social, reading, and exercise club. Charter members purchased the old Bemis Estate at 40 Abbott Road in 1895, and completed renovations of the clubhouse in 1896. The original building was completely destroyed by a fire on the evening of April 12, 1953, with firefighters from five surrounding towns fighting the blaze for almost eight hours. Preparations for a new building for the Maugus Club started immediately, and the present building was completed on the same site in 1956. The Maugus Club is still active today and features badminton and squash courts. 

Alden Ludlow, Contract Archivist



RECENT POSTS